Challenged Materials Procedures
In the event that a patron of the New London Public Library requests that material which is a part of the permanent collection be withdrawn or restricted, the following procedure is to be followed.
- The patron will be asked to complete the Statement of Concern about Library Resources form and submit it to a New London Public Library staff member. The staff member will also give the complainant a copy of the New London Public Library Selection Policy, the American Library’s Association's Bill of Rights, and the Freedom to Read statement
- The staff member must immediately sign and date the form. The staff member must then save the original for the Director and give a photocopy of the form to the patron.
- The Director of the New London Public Library will then arrange an interview with the patron who filed the complaint as soon as possible.
- If the patron is not satisfied with the interview with the Director, he/she may request a hearing with the Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees of the New London Public Library.
- If the issue cannot be resolved with the Executive Committee, the complainant can ask for a public hearing with the Board of Trustees of the New London Public Library.
- Any decision made by the Board of Trustees following the interviews and/or hearing will be final.